Director of Engineering Operations
Company: National Research Group
Posted on: November 21, 2022
Who We Are National Research Group (NRG) is a leader in data
driven insights and strategic consultation to the global technology
and entertainment industries. Working at the confluence of
technology, content, and culture, NRG offers bold insights for
storytellers everywhere. Our consultants have experience working
across all facets of technology and media. Why You'll Love It Here
We are inspired by working with storytellers that challenge us to
think differently and see the world in new ways. As a result, our
business is driven by creative, curious, and inventive people who
have a passion for pop culture. We work as a collective across
disciplines and geographies to bring together the best thinking for
every assignment, delivering insights to bold storytellers
everywhere. The Opportunity We are looking for a hands-on Director
of Engineering Operations to lead a team to build the next
generation of technology solutions that positively impact our
clients and client service team experiences and will continue to
shape and drive leading-edge solutions. This role will be
responsible for platform engineering while also overseeing DevOps,
security operations and vendor relationships. You must be a
technologist & engineer at heart and be comfortable with
contributing to the technology direction while being hands on with
the execution of the strategy. You must exhibit a deep
understanding of a modern technology stack with a demonstrated
focus on security, scalability, and high availability. As the
Director of Engineering Operations, you will help to build and
shape a world-class team that will execute on the organization's
vision. You will inspire and develop a team of highly motivated and
talented individuals that collaborate with organizational leaders,
cross-functional engineering talent, and client service
stakeholders across the company, as well as vendors to execute on
strategic objectives that you help develop. This position will
report to the VP of Engineering. The Role
- Contribute to and execute on a long-term cloud strategy roadmap
in collaboration with stakeholders to meet the needs and business
objectives of the organization while following industry best
- Oversee AWS cloud usage, security, cost tracking and
estimating. Help negotiate contracts and discounts in collaboration
- Manage cloud solution architecture - including evaluation,
selection, and integration of critical technical components that
realize the defined functional, non-functional, and security
- Facilitate the design, build, test, and deployment of cloud
infrastructure that is secure, scalable, and highly available in
any cloud or virtual environment, predominately AWS.
- Document and maintain architecture diagrams for systems,
processes, and interfaces.
- Work closely with engineers to develop sound technical
architecture and design to complex technical challenges.
- Develop centralized, enterprise monitoring solutions to
proactively monitor infrastructure, networking and applications in
order to capture, triage, and escalate incidents.
- Accountable for developing and supervising the monitoring of
systems, infrastructure, process, analysis, and technical
- Maintain, and oversee backup and disaster recovery
(DR)/business continuity plans (BCP). Manages institutional risk
related to data storage and security.
- Help to define the set of IT services and document them with
Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Ensure response time commitments
and resolution time objectives are met.
- Contribute to and deliver on the technology vision of the
- architecture trends. Recommend and implement best practice
solutions, processes, and tools.
- Establish and cultivate vendor relationships; negotiate vendor
contracts and maintenance agreements for enterprise infrastructure
- Oversee and manage teams focused on security and DevOps. Help
with implementation of best practice solutions, processes and tools
in these areas.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a team with integrity and create an
environment where employees feel included, valued, and supported to
do work that energizes them.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships both internally
and with vendors.
- Learn and develop skills in new technologies that can be
leveraged to improve existing technology stack. Who You Are
- Leadership experience managing multiple, independent
- A solid technical foundation. You feel comfortable diving into
details and interacting with engineers at all levels of seniority
- Demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and retain top
- Proven management skills including providing ongoing coaching
and feedback, developing employees and identifying and managing
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with
the ability to convey technical complexity to non-technical team
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with
goal tracking and metrics competency supporting oversight of
multiple concurrent project initiatives across the enterprise.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic,
organization and complex problem-solving skills which support and
enable sound decision making, with the desire to brainstorm
- Up to date on the latest best practices and technologies,
willingness to experiment with new technologies, and overall desire
and eagerness to learn. Required Qualifications
- BS/BA in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work
- 5+ years of experience managing engineering operations, with an
emphasis on platform engineering
- Strong interest in overseeing security and DevOps
- Solid experience with cloud providers. AWS preferred.
- Demonstrated capability to design and implement a cloud
environment based on a well-articulated roadmap and strategic
- Demonstrated project management skills ranging from minor
technology upgrades to major shifts in technology approach.
- Track record of balancing the coordination of fast-paced daily
priorities with important, longer-term strategic efforts.
- Solid experience with managing and monitoring CI/CD tools (e.g
- Experience with Docker or other containerization
- Experience architecting solutions or working closely with a
technical architect to develop a secure, highly available, and
- Experience managing 3 rd party software products,
installations, and vendor relationships including contract
negotiation and billing. Desired Qualifications
- Demonstrated understanding and execution of security operations
including defining, enforcing, and auditing processes and
procedures to ensure compliance with ISO standards.
- Demonstrated understanding and execution of IT operations in
order to successfully manage vendor that runs End User Computing.
Position Type This is a full-time, exempt position. Work
Environment This position is fully remote. However, NRG offers
flexible work options if an employee happens to live near a
dedicated office (Playa Vista or New York) and wants a hybrid work
model. This role routinely uses standard office equipment. Required
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why do you want to work at NRG?
Keywords: National Research Group, Vista , Director of Engineering Operations, Engineering , Vista, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!