Cake Decorator - Store #29 PT
Company: Northgate Markets
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and
since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los
Angeles, Orange and San Diego. We offer our customers a full
service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery,
tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of
domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a
Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people
to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for
enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us.
We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and
fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a
sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you
are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and
want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer
opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family
member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and
flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit
JOB SUMMARY: To design and decorate different kinds of cakes; to
bake cakes, prepare icing, train assistants and maintain the
cleanliness of the bakery; to work with customers or clients to
create a specific design or theme for the cake and oversee the
delivery of orders to clients; to ensure a positive company image
by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service to customers
and team members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Decorate cakes and pastries with designs, using icing bags or
handmade paper cones.
- Trim uneven surfaces of cake or cut and shape cake to required
size, using knife.
- Spread icing between layers and on surfaces of cake, using
- Tint white icing with food coloring; insert dye of specific
design into tip of bag or paper cone and fill bag or cone with
- Squeeze bag to eject icing while moving bag with free-arm
writing motions to form design on cake.
- Form decorations on flower shapes and decorations to cake,
- Prepare the mixing of icing.
- Provide optimum customer satisfaction.
- Maintain a neat, wellgroomed personal appearance at all times
and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or
hair net and uniform.
- Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise; check and
verify receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are
all delivered; check products for quality, count, and
- Load, unload oven. Know the proper temperatures and duration to
bake all varieties of products.
- Operate mixer; run Moline sheeter.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory control of
ingredients and supplies.
- Control excessive use of utilities and water, and observe sound
- Be familiar with invoice documents and confirm accuracy of item
descriptions, sizes, quantities and pricing during grocery vendor
product deliveries; record invoice documents accurately on the
receiving log and place signed invoice in the designated secured
- Accurately record markups and markdowns, instore use of
merchandise and bad merchandise/ spoilage writeoffs in accordance
with company policies.
- Properly label and date all products.
- Achieve and exceed margin and sales targets.
- Follow established weights and measures procedures.
- Maintain, organize, clean, stock and rotate daily received
- Comply with all applicable state health and safety codes;
maintain a safe and sanitary department.
- Check refrigeration equipment for proper performance at least
once per shift.
- Use and maintain equipment in orderly manner.
- Report all life, safety, and fire hazards to the bakery manager
for correction; comply with all occupational safety and health
regulations; report all accidents and injuries with the bakery
- Establish and maintain positive and productive vendor
- Maintain good communications in the department and throughout
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy
violations having an adverse effect on department or store
operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary
action or that may potentially require such action.
- Perform all duties related to all decorating, pastry
production, sanitation, and stocking of all bakery products.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school diploma preferred but not required.
- One year decorating experience required; or equivalent
- Completion of a certificate program in pastry arts preferred
but not required.
- Health department training required.
- Be able to verify vendor invoice charges and counts, complete
required accounting reports, and calculate percentages and ratios
when measuring ingredients in dough mixtures and recipes for
varying quantities or amounts.
- Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as
discounts, gross margins, markup, percentages, proportions, ratios,
and volume and to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate quality goals
- Ability to work well and communicate with others as a part of a
team. Ability to read, write, and understand the English language
effectively in order to read and understand:
- instructions for operating ovens, fryers, fire suppression
system and other mechanical and electronic equipment
- company handbooks, policies and procedures
- other written jobrelated documents including safety notices and
other postings on company bulletin boards
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Knowledge of the basic techniques of cake decoration and the
principles of baking.
- Willingness to taste and evaluate all products offered in
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being
"drugfree" under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the
Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some
requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle,
finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 70 pounds
carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift
moderate amounts of weight.
- Successful performance requires vision abilities that include
close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items from
overhead or elevated storage shelves and racks; be able to perform
routine cleaning and maintenance duties including lifting of both
heavy and light amounts of weight.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to
respond quickly to fire or other emergencies.
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes
from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during
routine housekeeping duties.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to
refrigerated frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as
20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes frequent exposure to heated ovens
and high temperatures.
- The atmospheric environment may occasionally contain airborne
particles of flour, spices, and other finely powdered ingredients
and frequent aromatic odors.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions,
experience, educational factors, and the requirements and
conditions listed in this job description are representative only
and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to
perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time and to require employees to perform other
tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work - In compliance with federal law, all persons
hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work
in the United States and to complete the required employment
eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified
applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the
requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban
the Box Law).
Keywords: Northgate Markets, Vista , Cake Decorator - Store #29 PT, Other , Vista, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!