Meruelo Enterprises, Inc. is a leading company in the
construction and engineering industry. We perform engineering &
construction work in a variety of market segments. We are
headquartered in Los Angeles with business units in LA, Riverside,
San Diego and Ventura performing work throughout California.
The Safety Specialist is responsible for administering the
Company safety/health and accident prevention program and to ensure
all employees have a safe environment in which to work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administer and audit the Company safety program; implement and
coordinate safety and health activities
- Conduct announced and unannounced occupational safety and
health inspections of company facilities, equipment, materials,
operations and job sites to ensure compliance with corporate safety
policy, and all federal, state and local regulations.
- Analyze inspection findings to determine the need for employee
safety training; conduct safety-training classes as required;
conduct required and selected company-wide safety certification
classes; maintain records of all training classes; assist in
development of safety and training manuals for equipment and work
- Assist in industrial hygiene surveys, as required review all
accidents and make recommendations for corrective action as
- Recommend safety equipment to be used or worn; coordinate with
safety committees and the purchasing departments concerning the
purchase, storage and issuance of approved safety equipment and
products for employees.
- Provide project safety support.
- Coordinate fleet safety programs; keep current on new trends
and methods in accident prevention field; keep current on OSHA
reports and standards.
- Attend and participate in professional safety organization
- Conduct work area surveillance inspections, air-sampling tests
for confined space entry, property damage and personal injury
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Associates or Bachelor's degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene or
related discipline or a combination of education and experience
providing equivalent knowledge (examples include but are not
limited to 5 Years Journeyman experience with 3 years safety
program experience or Advanced Safety Certificate through National
Safety Council, etc.). Recognized safety certification (CUSA, CSP,
etc) preferred. Minimum 3 years safety related experience in the
construction industry. OSHA 10 Construction required.
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid class C California
SKILLS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Thorough understanding of and ability to enforce federal,
state, local and company regulations.
- Ability to recognize hazardous situation and implement
corrective measures essential.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Must have extensive knowledge of applicable safety regulations,
regulatory requirement and industry standards for construction and
general industry; knowledge of EPA, DOT and NEPA standards.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, possess good
organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel and have knowledge
of spreadsheet applications.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is
frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and
reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to
walk; stand and sit for prolong periods. The employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Must be able to
operate a motor vehicle.
Working conditions consists of a temperature-controlled office,
outside elements such as rain, cold, and heat when driving from
jobsite to jobsite or attending meetings, etc. Noise levels are
moderate to loud depending on jobsite.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
of the work performed by employees assigned to this position. This
description assists in ADA compliance, and is not intended for any
other purpose such as compensation. All employees must comply with
company policies and applicable laws. Management retains the right
to assign additional duties periodically and the discretion to add
or change the duties of this position at any time.
Meruelo Enterprises, Inc. offers a very competitive pay and
benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance
Meruelo Enterprises, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer